|HCOB: Ethics and Study Tech|
|The Education Angle|
Source: Technical Bulletins Volume 10 (p. 88-90) © 1991 L. Ron Hubbard Library
HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, Sussex
HCO BULLETIN OF 4 APRIL 1972R
REVISED 21 JUNE 1975
(Also issued as an HCO PL,
same date and title.)
Word Clearing Series 48
ETHICS AND STUDY TECH
The basic Why of the majority of cases of post nonperformance of a staff member and OUT-TECH in an org stems from misunderstood words.
The primary point that has to be gotten in is study tech.
This is also our bridge to society. 1
Yet study tech is the tech that includes misunderstood word tech.
Thus if study tech is not in, people on staffs see nothing wrong with hearing or reading orders containing words they do not understand and have no urge to look them up. Further, they often feel they do know words that they in fact do not know.
When this situation exists, it is next to impossible to get study tech and Word Clearing tech in. For the orders seeking to get in study tech may contain words the person does not understand. Thus he doesn't really comply with the orders, and study tech does not get in. Thus the ability to hear or read and understand continues to be missing.
Therefore, these ethics actions become part of standard ethics:
1. A PERSON MAY BE SUMMONED TO A COURT OF ETHICS OR EXECUTIVE COURT OF ETHICS IF IT BE FOUND THAT HE HAS GONE PAST A WORD HE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND WHEN RECEIVING, HEARING OR READING AN ORDER, HCOB, POLICY LETTER OR TAPE, ANY AND ALL LRH WRITTEN OR PRINTED MATERIALS INCLUDING BOOKS, PABS, DESPATCHES, TELEXES AND MIMEO ISSUES WHICH RESULTED IN A FAILURE TO DO DUTIES OF HIS POST, WITHOUT HIS AT ONCE MAKING AN EFFECTIVE EFFORT TO CLEAR THE WORDS ON HIMSELF, WHETHER HE KNEW HE WAS MISSING THEM OR NOT, AS THE SOURCE OF HIS INACTION OR DAMAGING ACTIONS.
The charge is NEGLECTING TO CLARIFY WORDS NOT UNDERSTOOD.
2. A STAFF MEMBER WHO DOES NOT USE STUDY TECH OR GET IT KNOWN WHILE STUDYING OR INSTRUCTING MAY BE SUMMONED TO A COURT OF ETHICS OR AN EXECUTIVE COURT OF ETHICS.2
The charge is FAILURE TO EMPLOY STUDY TECH.
3. A STUDENT ALTER-ISING OR MISADVISING OTHERS ON THE USE OF STUDY TECH MAY BE SUMMONED BEFORE A COURT OF ETHICS. 3
The charge is ADVOCATING A MISUSE OR NEGLECT OF PROPER STUDY TECH.
4. AN AUDITOR FAILING TO CLEAR EACH AND EVERY WORD OF EVERY COMMAND OR LIST USED MAY BE SUMMONED BEFORE A COURT OF ETHICS.
The charge is OUT-TECH.
5. ANY PUBLIC DIVISION PERSON, STAFF MEMBER OR SCIENTOLOGIST FOUND USING TERMS, CIRCUMSTANCES OR DATA ON RAW PUBLIC IN PUBLIC LECTURES OR PROMOTION OR IN PR BEYOND THE PUBLIC ABILITY TO GRASP WITHOUT STRESSING STUDY TECH OR AT ONCE TAKING EFFECTIVE MEASURES TO CLARIFY, OR RELEASING MATERIALS BROADLY TO A WRONG PUBLIC MAY BE SUMMONED TO A COURT OF ETHICS IF ANY FLAP OR UPSET RESULTS.
The charge is FAILURE TO APPLY STUDY TECH IN DISSEMINATION.
Furthermore, as study tech is our primary bridge to society and the basic prevention of out-tech and out-admin, if any offense as above found guilty in a Court of Ethics is REPEATED and the person has had two such courts on this offense, the person may be summoned before a Committee of Evidence on a charge of COMMITTING AN ACT OR OMISSION UNDERTAKEN TO KNOWINGLY SUPPRESS, REDUCE OR IMPEDE SCIENTOLOGY OR SCIENTOLOGISTS, and if found guilty beyond reasonable doubt, may be declared a SUPPRESSIVE PERSON and expelled with full penalties.4
L. RON HUBBARD
See also: Scientology lies about their "social betterment" fronts.
2 Scientologists operating at the New Village Academy are subject to discipline per this bulletin/policy.
3 The following glossary item from the New Village Academy web site suggests that Hubbard's ethics technology will be administered to academy students.
Study Technology - An educational model developed by L.R. Hubbard, study technology focuses on three principles. First is the use of “mass” (manipulatives and hands-on experiences) to foster understanding – children need to see and feel what they are learning about. Second is the attention to the “gradient,” which ensures sure students master one level before moving on to the next. Third is the “misunderstood word,” in which students master word definitions and are taught not to read past words they don’t know the meanings of in order to understand completely what they are reading and learning. NVA uses study technology as an umbrella methodology woven through the subjects. http://newvillageacademy.org/_bin/curriculum/Glossary.cfm
The cached version of New Village Academy's page indicates the school utilizes Hubbard's ethics system.
Character development through ethical choices is integrated into the curriculum. From their first days on campus, students learn of the School’s expectations as outlined in the School’s 3 R’s. This code highlights desirable attributes and responsibilities, which are addressed daily in classrooms and all programs. Weekly all-school assemblies also emphasize values of good behavior and community service. A well-established ethics system is used to help students who have made poor choices learn to make better ones. The School, as a community, takes on projects to assist the greater community.
Students are expected to respect the rights of others, as well as respect civil laws and authority. In addition, students need to respect school property, others’ property, and to respect others’ feelings. We teach them to be cooperative workers who demonstrate the abilities to negotiate and compromise.
One of the
biggest advantages to being a student at NVA is being a member of a
group of people who are very much a family in addition to an
educational community. We stress the concept that we are a “village”
and so work as a team. Along with being a team member goes the
responsibility of personal ethics and integrity. An understanding of
basic ethics helps students prosper as individuals while being a part
of a group. Ethics is simply the choices and actions a person takes on
himself, and the ability to take responsibility for his or her actions.
The purpose of Scientology ethics is to remove intentions that oppose or distract from the forward progress of Scientology. See Ethics.
4 Scientology's hateful Suppressive Person doctrine forms the core of Hubbard's ethics system. See also Suppressive Person Defense League.
See also OCMB thread: Will's Scientology Academy has "cleansed" its website
|< Previous Article||Next Article>|